Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Hardcore, Part One

So. I'm registered to run my first 5k.

On December 31st. In Wisconsin.

Yeah.

So. Sunday afternoon, my husband (who will hereinafter be referred to as Sweetness) says "it's time to run outdoors, dear, and test your gear."

Of course he's right. Of COURSE he's right.

But do I want to run in sub-freezing temperatures? No. I don't.

So I suit up. I wear the following: brooks running tights, polypro base layer, eddie bauer windproof jacket, c9 wind pants, head gloves, and injinji socks with fivefinger bikilas. Also borrowed Sweetness's windproof North Face hat. I thought for sure I'd freeze.

Turns out, running outside in the cold makes me faster. I did 4 miles quicker than I ever have (though I am still painfully slow) and peeled off the hat and jacket within five minutes of my warm up walk. Only need a fleece ear wrap, I think, and may not need the wind pants if there's no serious wind.

It didn't hurt that I knew there was coffee at the end. Heh.

1 comment:

  1. I was amazed at first to discover how few layers it takes to stay warm while running! Good for you!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete