Thursday, March 3, 2011

My Husband: or, Why I Can Go Farther Than I Think I Can

Last Sunday was a training "run" for my half marathon in May. (Note: I do not anticipate running the entire time, but am training to complete the distance before the time cutoff. I know there are people out there who don't believe this "counts." They can kiss my grits.) I needed to do seven miles. This is the longest I've ever run/walked, and I wasn't sure that I could do it without considerable pain and suffering.

Ah, but I forgot my secret weapon: my dear Sweetness.

My intervals were thusly: 5 minute warm up walk, 90 seconds run/90 seconds walk, 2 minutes run/2 minutes walk. Rinse, repeat, ad nauseum. He was right there with me the whole time, even after mile 6, when I was pulling it out of somewhere I didn't know I had. He told me my form was good, how much I'd improved, how impressed he was with my ability to run through to the end of the interval, navigate the snow and ice piles, hills, whatnot. And when my mp3 player ran out of juice, he cued my walk/run intervals.

I did seven miles in a little less than 2 hours. Ran the last stretch into the driveway. Felt really good at the end.

And couldn't have done it without him.

No comments:

Post a Comment